- Go into your kitchen. Preheat your oven to 350 F.
- Using a stand mixer, mix 1 cup of commercial peanut butter with 1 cup of brown sugar, 1/3 cup of white sugar, 1 egg, 2 tablespoons of vanilla and a pinch of kosher salt together until combined. Add some orange zest if you are feeling springy.
- Using a little ice cream scoop (or a spoon), form into balls. Place on a parchment paper lined sheet pan. Resist the temptation to smash them down. They spread a little so leave some room between them. Top each cookie with a little chunk of bittersweet chocolate. Sprinkle some kosher salt (or sea salt) over the pan.
- Bake for about 12-15 minutes in the oven to cook the egg and to set.
- Let them cook on the cookie sheet for about 5 minutes before removing to a rack.
- Try not to eat them all in one sitting.
These would make a great hiking cookie. And they make an excellent scrapbooking cookie.
Recipe taken from the Amateur Gourmet and tested by me on Friday. It is originally a Paula Dean recipe. Who knew she could make something without butter?